How to smoke eels

recipes!!!!!!!!! not just meat based!

Moderators: confused, mr=punch

How to smoke eels

Postby Frankie » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi All

As promised here is how I smoke eels (Preferably Silver Eels) First for those who dont know how to distinguish silvers from brown yellow & green eels, A Silver eel will be almost black on the back and going a kind of silvery puter colour on the sides and a brilliant white underneath, the eyes are usually bigger than the norm as well.

To catch Silvers you can use one of these nets they are called Fyke nets this one is a double ender, Single enders are better in fast flowing water with the cod end facing upstream so it does'nt fill up with muck ie dead leaves etc. Tie up the end and tie a weight on it, if it is a single I use a stake on the leader end and a weight (couple of engineering bricks should be enough) on the cod end, doubles have weights on each end, You are supposed to have a licence for each end from the EA they are £5.00 each so a single will cost a fiver and a double you need two.

Once you have aquired your silver eels you will need to allow about 5-6 hours from start to finish of the process, so dont start at 7 at night.

Ok you will need to make a brine solution (salt & water only) I mix enough salt in the water untill a potato floats in it, then drop in the Eels live, (dead is ok but will have to deslime yourself) making sure the plastic or pot vessel is big enough to stop them jumping out or put a lid on it, It is not the most plesant thing to see but it is the best way to kill and deslime them at the same time, after about half an hour remove your now dead eels and clean them in a seperate tub. Insert a sharp knife into the vent (ar*e hole) and slit it right up to the bottom jaw remove guts, slice about 3 inches in the other direction towards the tail there you will find the kidney, this must also be removed, proceed to thoroughly clean all traces of blood, slime, and guts in clean water, now put the eels back into your brine and leave for about 3 hours, try to keep them submerged with a plastic grill or similar (never use metal tubs or grills) The eels are now ready for smoking, I hang the eels tail down, the fat in silvers will continually baste them during the hot smoking period. I tie a piece of twine tightly all round the throat and put the hook through it, dont just hook it in the head or jaw it will break away and fall into the bottom of the smoker as it softens whilst cooking, So you now hang the eels in the smoker (assuming your smoker is big enough) and smoke at no more than 80 degrees C for about 90 minutes, Check regular after 1 hour to see if cooked, if it is hotter the skin will split and burn and all the hard work will be for a crap finished product.

Hang out to cool, then into the fridge, to remove the skin (dogs adore the skin and because of the oil content good for them) pinch it at the tail end and pull towards the head it should come of in one piece on each side, now enjoy

Hope you try this  :smt117  :smt117  :smt117  

Regards Frankie
EELS R US CRAYTWINS
Frankie
old man o'the woods
old man o'the woods

Postby dugaboy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:08 pm

nice one mate  :smt117  cheers
dugaboy

Postby fish » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:01 am

any pics?  great post!
fish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bullfrog » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:12 am

Smoked eel & fresh horseradish is the best  :smt117
bullfrog

Postby Frankie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:34 pm

fish wrote:any pics?  great post!

Next time I smoke some I will add some pics of my smoker, gutting eels, skinning, etc.  :smt034

Not had enough to smoke yet, all being sold live, should have some on the next waining moon

Regards Frankie  :smt039
EELS R US CRAYTWINS
Frankie
old man o'the woods
old man o'the woods

Return to now its dead what you gonna do with it?